You might have heard that a prescription discount card or coupon may be your best way to save money on prescriptions. But if you’re unclear about what exactly a prescription discount card is, how it works, and where to use one, read on for all the details.
What is a prescription discount card?
A prescription discount card is a free coupon that helps you pay less for your medications by finding the best price in your area. Most require no membership or registration to use and are available to everyone even if they have health insurance. While prescription discount cards and coupons can’t be combined with insurance or other health coverage, they often provide an even lower price than insurance copays.
How do prescription discount cards work?
Companies that provide prescription discount cards collaborate as a larger network to negotiate the best prices with pharmacies and pharmaceutical companies. They then pass those prices along to you. For instance, when you use a RxLess prescription discount card, you can get your medications for as much as 88% cheaper than the normal retail cost.
How do I find the best prescription card?
Although many companies provide prescription cards, not all are the same. Here's how RxLess differs from its competitors to help bring you the biggest savings:
- The RxLess app offers a searchable prescription discount marketplace that lets you choose the best price in your area.
- With a free RxLess discount card, you can get up to 88% off the cost of your prescriptions.
- The RxLess searchable marketplace lets you quickly compare the cost of your prescriptions between pharmacies and conveniently choose a pharmacy near you that offers the best price.
- RxLess requires no membership registration to use and doesn’t ask for your personal information.
How do you use a prescription discount card to save costs?
When you use RxLess, follow these easy steps:
- First, download the RxLess app on an iOS or Android device.
- Next, search your medications to compare prices and select the pharmacy you prefer.
- Show your card to the pharmacist when picking up your medications. The pharmacist will apply the coupon to your prescription cost to give you the lowest available price.
- RxLess helps you save on all your prescriptions ranging from pain relievers like acetaminophen (Tylenol) to supplements like vitamin B6 and life-saving drugs like EpiPen.
- If the pharmacy offering the best price is different from where you normally fill your prescription, you can follow these steps to transfer your prescription.
- Tip: if you encounter a pharmacy that will not accept your discount card, please call us immediately at 844.479.5377 and we will do everything we can to help.
Where can I use a prescription discount card?
The RxLess prescription discount card is accepted at more than 70,000 partnered pharmacies nationwide including large chains like CVS, Rite Aid, and Walgreens.
Is it possible to use a prescription discount card with insurance to double up my savings?
No, however you may be able to pay out-of-pocket for your medications and still have the cost applied to your deductible if your insurance carrier allows this. When using a discount program, check with your insurance provider to see if you can turn in your receipt to get credit for the money you spent on your medications. If your prescription provider allows it, the money you spend on prescriptions can apply to your out-of-pocket maximum.